2021-08 - Generator Technician (Full Time)
2021-08 - Generator Technician (Full Time)
|Generator Technician (Full Time)
|You will be responsible for performing work of a technical nature related to stand-by and emergency power generation which includes water supply and distribution, sewage collection, sewage pump stations, drainage pump systems and other City owned buildings and facilities. You shall provide technical input for the evaluation and selection of facility stand-by generator equipment; and perform installations, enhancements and improvements on existing equipment. You shall undertake fieldwork pertaining to the City’s emergency stand-by power supply and will carry out inspections as required by the Electrical Safety Branch. You will assist in the development and implementation of preventive and corrective maintenance programs and procedures for the City’s stand-by power generation and related electrical components. You will assist in the performance of electrical work including alteration and maintenance of existing equipment, including troubleshooting, monitoring, diagnosing problems, purchasing of components, and installing and commissioning of the same.
You shall be responsible for equipment and materials as assigned; planning the work to ensure that site conditions are adequately shown on plans and specifications with work carried out within the time allocated; reporting circumstances of deviation from plans, changes in design and increases in the scope of work; ensuring that all acceptable and safety measures are taken to protect personnel, equipment, material and public from injury or damage. You will be required to attend technical services and training courses related to stand-by power generation, utility operations and safety practices, as and when required.
You are responsible for receiving oral and written assignments which may include inspections, analysis of data, designs, specifications, drawings, cost estimates, reports and troubleshooting problems. You will be required to perform other tasks as assigned. Assignments and responsibilities are performed under general supervision and performance is subject to review, inspection and evaluation by the Utilities Superintendent Electrical / Mechanical.
You shall, at all times, give priority to ensuring that the water supply to all customers is maintained and ensuring that public health is not endangered. You shall also give priority to the prevention and control of private property damage due to water escapement or sewer back-up occurring in the City's utility systems.
|Must have a minimum of Grade 12 education supplemented by courses and five (5) years experience in a variety of skills and trades such as pipe fitting/laying, plumbing, welding - OR equivalent combination of training and experience;
Must be in possession of a Journeyman Electrician’s Certificate (unrestricted) issued by the BC Safety Authority, including Trade Qualification and/or Interprovincial Certification;
Must have a minimum of five (5) years experience as a Generator Service Technician - OR equivalent combination of technical training and experience;
Must be in possession of a valid B.C. Driver's Licence.
|- Sound knowledge of methods, practices, tools and equipment is required as they relate to mechanical and electrical works, controls, instrumentation, and PLC programming;
- Sound knowledge of national, provincial and municipal laws, bylaws, codes and regulations governing municipal works is required;
- Sound knowledge of engineering and technical methods, practices and procedures required in the performance of duties of the position;
- Able to obtain Level I in Water Distribution as per E.O.C.P. Certification Program for Operators;
- Able to work with computers and various software, such as Microsoft Office applications;
- Able to understand verbal and written instructions in English, understand working drawings, interpret technical information, and perform all facets of related mathematics including a basic understanding of hydraulics of utilities systems such as head losses through pipes and fittings, water hammer, pump characteristics, balancing storages, conversion calculations of flow pressure and head;
- Able to maintain records and prepare and present technical reports both in oral and written format;
- Able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with developers, contractors, engineers, elected officials, department officials, staff and the general public;
- Able to ensure that a high standard of housekeeping of the City facilities and work areas, equipment and supplies is maintained;
- Able to recognize and rectify and/or report on actual or potential safety hazards;
- Able to lift and carry heavy objects;
- Able to work in wet, humid and dirty conditions while subjected to odours, fumes and gases underground in manholes and pump stations;
- The incumbent may be required, at the discretion and expense of the employer, to attend courses, seminars, etc., for the purpose of staying current with changing technology.
|Hourly rate of $31.30 to $36.82
|Permanent Full Time
|2021-02-16 04:30 PM