Your broswer appears to be running in Compatibility View. Please disable it for this website.
To disable Compatibility View, click the Compatibility View button beside the Address Bar, as highlighted by the yellow arrow in the above image.
2020-46 - Firefighter (Full Time) 5 Positions
2020-46 - Firefighter (Full Time) 5 Positions
|Title:||Firefighter (Full Time) 5 Positions|
|This posting is open to City of Chilliwack Paid-On-Call Firefighters.|
|Duties:||The incumbent in this class assists management to achieve safe, effective, and efficient operations in the Fire Department through competent performance of firefighting, inspection, rescue and emergency medical aid duties. The incumbent will observe and comply with all local government and Fire Department policies and safety regulations and practices. The incumbent supports the department’s core values of safety, respect, teamwork, and customer service.
This is a skilled position entailing firefighting, rescue, hazardous materials, emergency medical care, responding to fire alarms and other related emergency services under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable risk.
The incumbent is required to participate in fire prevention programs and to safeguard life, property and the environment. The incumbent is required to inspect all types of buildings and facilities to ensure compliance with local government, provincial and federal fire and life safety codes, regulations and bylaws. The incumbent will deliver and support fire safety and fire prevention programs for public, commercial and industrial occupancies and groups. The incumbent is required to participate in and provide support of the investigation of fires, to determine origin and cause.
The incumbent is required to deliver and aid other members in the instruction of paid on-call and career members in various aspects of fire service training.
The incumbent will be required to perform routine housekeeping and maintenance of firefighting/rescue equipment, vehicles and real property related to the Fire Department. The incumbent will be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
Assignments and responsibilities are performed under general supervision and performance is subject to review, inspection and evaluation by the shift supervisor (Company Officer).
|Education:||- Must have completed Grade 12, or equivalent high school graduation;
- Must be certified to NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level 2;
- Must possess a current First Responder Level III Licence and CPR certification, and be able to effectively administer emergency medical care to the injured;
- Must be in possession of a valid Class 3, B.C. Driver's Licence to operate firefighting vehicles and equipment, including Air Brake endorsement, and a demonstrated safe driving record;
- Extensive knowledge of the methods, procedures and practices used in fighting all classes of fires, a variety of rescue work and the mitigation of hazardous material incidents;
- Extensive knowledge of the operation of all apparatus, equipment and methods used in combating, extinguishing and preventing fires and in rescue work;
- Extensive knowledge of safety practices and procedures in all types of work;
- Extensive knowledge of rules and regulations of the fire department;
- Extensive knowledge of fire ground hydraulics and fire pump operations for all types of firefighting;
- Good knowledge of building construction and the geography of the City;
- Knowledge of fire prevention, inspection and investigation methods, procedures, bylaws, codes, acts and related regulations governing the work;
|Skills:||- Must be medically and physically fit;
- Ability to react quickly, calmly and exercise sound judgement in stressful situations;
- Ability to maintain Fire Department firefighting vehicles and equipment;
- Ability to provide effective and structured training to all fire department members;
- Ability to provide effective fire safety presentations to community groups and members;
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions in English and complete a variety of reports and forms;
- Ability to operate a computer and possess basic skills and experience with Microsoft software;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Local Government officials and staff, Fire Department members and the general public.
The incumbent will be required to work in accordance with the published shift schedule and, as authorized, work overtime. The incumbent must be of good health to satisfactorily meet the requirements of the job and work outdoors regardless of weather. The incumbent must wear safety equipment as appropriate in the performance of duties. The incumbent will have union dues deducted from source in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
|Salary:||As per current Collective Agreement|
|Employment Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Closed:||2020-08-15 04:30 PM|