2019-102 - Fleet Maintenance Assistant
2019-102 - Fleet Maintenance Assistant
|Fleet Maintenance Assistant
|The incumbent in this class assists management to achieve an efficient operation within the fleet maintenance section of the Operations Department through reliable performance of a variety of semi-skilled mechanical tasks as assigned; ensuring that assigned vehicles and equipment are maintained to an acceptable operating condition. Observing and complying with municipal policies and safety practices.
This is a skilled position requiring equipment/truck operation and a variety of fleet maintenance support tasks. The incumbent cleans the garage and related areas, fuels and cleans vehicles, operates a forklift and loader/backhoe, and other equipment as assigned. Provides assistance to mechanics and performs routine servicing on light and medium vehicles. Picks up parts and drives a variety of vehicles and equipment to and from external service shops and suppliers. The work is performed under general supervision of the Mechanic Supervisor III.
The incumbent performs maintenance work in the garage and yard areas. Operates a forklift to load and offload vehicles/equipment and parts. Operates a variety of City owned equipment in the yard area. Provides pick up and delivery tasks for parts, materials and vehicles/equipment. Provides assistance to mechanics and performs routine servicing such as oil changes, greasing, light bulb replacement, mud flaps and other assigned duties. Maintains routine records related to the work undertaken. Work is subject to review for workmanship, adherence to established procedures, attainment of desired objectives and/or the safe and efficient operation of equipment and vehicles. Review, inspection and evaluation shall be by the Mechanic Supervisor III. Other related tasks as assigned.
|Must have a minimum of grade 10 education supplemented by courses in the mechanical field, and must have formal training in Equipment Operation - OR – have an acceptable level of mechanical related training and experience.
|- Must be in possession of a valid B.C. Drivers License valid at class 3 and must have air brake endorsement;
- Knowledge of the rules of safe operation and precautions required, and experience in, driving, operating and parking a variety of trucks, vehicles, heavy and light equipment;
- Sound knowledge of the standard methods, practices, tools, materials and equipment used in dispensing fuel;
- Experience in and sound knowledge of methods and practices used in servicing and maintaining light vehicles and equipment;
- Ability to communicate with and establish a good working relationship with other employees;
- Experience in the use of tools for vehicle servicing and minor maintenance;
- Have working knowledge of computer applications related to fleet maintenance shop activities;
- Experience in welding and fabricating work;
- Able to understand verbal and written instructions in English, maintain schedules, preventative maintenance programs and complete appropriate records, reports, etc.;
- Able to operate or understand the principles of operation of all municipal vehicles and equipment and to perform road tests as assigned;
- Must be a certified crane truck operator;
- Able to recognize, rectify and/or report upon actual or potential safety hazards;
- Able to demonstrate the proper procedures in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the fleet maintenance shop and yard area;
The incumbent will be required to work any consecutive five (5) days within the calendar week and conform to the hours of work as prescribed in published shift schedules and, on occasion, work overtime as authorized. The incumbent may be required to work outdoors regardless of weather. The incumbent will be required to wear safety equipment as appropriate to the performance of his duties and complete his duties in accordance with established and recognized safety practices. The incumbent, upon hiring, will have union dues deducted from source in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
|$27.06 - $31.84 per hour (2019 rates)
|Permanent Full Time
|2019-11-27 04:30 PM