Your broswer appears to be running in Compatibility View. Please disable it for this website.
To disable Compatibility View, click the Compatibility View button beside the Address Bar, as highlighted by the yellow arrow in the above image.
2013-47 - Utilityman (Part Time)
2013-47 - Utilityman (Part Time)
|Title:||Utilityman (Part Time)|
|Duties:||The City of Chilliwack requires a motivated and dependable individual to fill the position of Utilityman (Full Time).
Working in the Underground Utilities Section of the Public Works Department, you will assist in the efficient operation of the Citys Sewer Collection, Water Distribution and Storm Drainage systems through reliable performance in the maintenance, installation and repair of this infrastructure.
|Education:||You should hold, or be eligible to obtain, level 1 EOCP certification in Water Distribution and/or Sewer Collection as per the Environmental Operator Certification Program. In addition, you must have have courses and/or experience in a variety of related skills and trades such as water / sewer pipe laying, plumbing, working in excavations and utility system construction and maintenance.|
|Skills:||- A sound knowledge of chlorination practices, valves, fire hydrants and other utility infrastructure as well as a general mechanical aptitude is necessary.
- In possession of a valid B.C. Driver's Licence;
- Sound knowledge of all mechanical, electrical and control systems, as required to effectively operate and maintain the pumping facilities within the water distribution, sanitary and storm collection systems, plus a number of storage facilities, and must also be knowledgeable in pressure zones;
- Sound knowledge of safety and repair, the transportation of materials classified as dangerous goods, the control of turbidity, and the use, maintenance and repair of backflow devices. As required by legislation or City policy, the incumbents may be required to obtain applicable certification related to chlorination practices;
- Sound knowledge of the operational, construction and/or maintenance methods, materials, equipment, procedures and practices used in the City's sewer collection and water distribution operation such as testing of underground piping, disinfecting procedures and flushing;
- General mechanical aptitude and be able to operate a variety of equipment, both stationery and mobile, such as pumps and trucks;
- Able to understand verbal and written instructions in English, complete required forms and perform all facets of related mathematics including a basic understanding of hydraulics of utilities systems such as head losses through pipes and fittings, water hammer, pump characteristics, balancing storages, conversion calculations of flow pressure and head;
- Able to recognize and rectify and/or report on actual or potential safety hazards;
- Able to lift and carry heavy objects;
- Become familiar with pertinent legislation, regulations and bylaws as provided by the employer;
- Able to read and understand working drawings as they relate to work requirements;
- Able to maintain records and prepare and present reports both in oral and written format;
- Able to work with a minimum of supervision;
- Able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with department officials and other members of staff;
- Able to exhibit courtesy, tact and diplomacy in dealing with the public;
- Able to ensure that a high standard of housekeeping of the City facilities and work areas, equipment and supplies is maintained; and
- Able to work in wet, humid and dirty conditions while subjected to odours, fumes, and gases underground in manholes and pump stations.
|Salary:||$24.24 to $28.52 per hour (2013 rates)|
|Employment Type:||Permanent Part Time|
|Closed:||2013-07-16 04:30 PM|