Your broswer appears to be running in Compatibility View. Please disable it for this website.
To disable Compatibility View, click the Compatibility View button beside the Address Bar, as highlighted by the yellow arrow in the above image.
2017-06 - Building Application Assistant (Full Time)
2017-06 - Building Application Assistant (Full Time)
|Title:||Building Application Assistant (Full Time)|
|Department:||Development and Regulatory Enforcement Services|
|Duties:||The incumbent in this class assists management to achieve efficient operation within theBuilding Permit Application Section of the Department, providing excellent customer service for the Department, and undertaking reliable administrative and technical work in accordance with building permit requirements, and observing safety and security practices associated with confidential building permit material and municipal policies. This position maintains the tracking of a large number of documents and their various processes, requiring attention to detail while working to deadlines.
The incumbent in this class, under direction, is responsible for:
- Assisting the general public, at the front counter, or by telephone and email, by answering questions and starting the technical processes associated with building permit applications, including research of City records, related bylaws, procedures and legislation, and providing the customer with information on the steps that will be required through to file completion;
- Coordinating and processing the flow of documents between staff, tracking and recording, scanning and filing, and providing information to staff and the public on file status as required;
- The technical and moderately complex clerical work in examining and checking plans and permit applications for compliance with the BC Building Code, Building, Development, Land Use and other bylaws.
- Discussing plans, proposed projects and non-conformance issues with applicants and others as required.
- Clarifies problem areas, interprets and explains Codes, bylaws and regulations and makes recommendations for revised plans.
- Processing all building permit documentation, including letters of assurance, creation of maps, and inputting of information into applicable software applications for applications.
- Coordinating and processing title searches, restrictive covenants, right-of-ways, easements and other related documents relevant to building permit applications;
- Coordinating with the Departmental Secretary the department’s document management requirements;
- Creating informational brochures and ensuring information on the website is current and informative;
- Scheduling and maintaining records of the Department’s permits;
- Preparing basic correspondence, including inputting data in legal templates, permits and forms;
- Performing other related duties as required.
Assignments and responsibilities are performed under general supervision according to established routine and performance is subject to review, inspection and evaluation by the Manager.
|Education:||Must have completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical training from a recognized institute in construction/building technology, at the certificate level, OR have two years of acceptable experience in building; supplemented by technical courses related to the work.
Must have knowledge of the BC Building Code – Part 9.
|Skills:||- Working knowledge of standard planning, building and engineering nomenclature and practices and map compilation and interpretation;
- Ability to understand the relationships and links between all the tasks and components of work related to the building permit processes;
- Knowledge of zoning and municipal bylaws and other pertinent regulations and bylaws pertaining to the operation of the Department;
- General knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and map interpretation;
- Working knowledge of land title and registry procedures and the administration of real property; and familiarity with folio information such as BC Assessment data and the use of a land based property information system;
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to remain courteous, tactful and diplomatic in dealing with the public, and with difficult clients;
- Able to deal effectively with other Department officials and members of staff;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly, and ability to prepare clear, concise written and verbal reports;
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly and to interpret technical information, policies and procedures and explain them to the public;
- Must maintain excellence in the quality of service and a high degree of accuracy in work;
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to organize work processes efficiently, multi-task and prioritize work under pressure, and solve problems effectively;
- Excellent computer skills, with a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, and experience with publishing software, electronic tracking processes and software;
- Must demonstrate maturity, sound judgment and the ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion and integrity;
- Must be in possession of a valid B.C. Driver's Licence.
|Salary:||$26.96to $31.72 (2017 rates)|
|Employment Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Closed:||2017-01-30 04:30 PM|